‘He was supposed to be home’: Another body recovered, despair grows for families of those still missing in Uttarakhand avalanche | India News
Hours after the Uttarakhand government released a list of four workers still missing after an avalanche hit their work site in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district Friday, authorities on Sunday said another body has been recovered, taking the death toll in the incident to five. Ishwari Prasad, father of 23-year-old Anil Kumar from Sitarganj village of Udham Singh Nagar district, made frantic phone calls after learning of the avalanche and was told that his son was safe. However, on Sunday morning, Prasad learnt that Anil was among those still missing. Story continues below this ad “(Initially) I was informed that Anil was safe and in a hospital in Joshimath. The next day, newspapers carried articles saying he was safe. However, when I asked the authorities to help me connect with him, they could not do so,” he said. The mix up happened because authorities initially mistook Prasad’s son for another Anil, an operator from Himachal Pradesh who had been rescued. Prasad recalled that Anil was headed home on February 22, when he got a call and had …

