All posts tagged: French Open

Check out their head to head stats before Wimbledon final

Check out their head to head stats before Wimbledon final

3 min readJul 12, 2026 06:27 PM IST The 2026 Men’s Singles Final at the Wimbledon is locked in as defending champion Jannik Sinner is set to take on the reigning Roland Garros champion Alexander Zverev on Sunday at the Centre Court. The final was set up after Alexander Zverev defeated the homegrown wildcard Arthur Fery in straight sets (7-6 6-2 6-4) and Sinner demolished the  legendary Novak Djokovic, with a commanding 6-4 6-4 6-4) win. Zverev had never made a Wimbledon quarterfinal before this year and is now in the final after a flawless performance against Fery. However, his kryptonite, Sinner is looking his best again after a disappointing early exit at the Roland Garros and will be in contention for a successive Wimbledon win. It’s a 15th career showdown between the two top seeds, and a second Grand Slam final meeting, with Sinner having beaten Zverev at the Australian Open in January of last year. Sinner is labelled as Zverev’s kryptonite because he has defeated him nine consecutive times across every surface since …

Who is Alexander Zverev’s girlfriend? Inside his relationships and past abuse allegations

Who is Alexander Zverev’s girlfriend? Inside his relationships and past abuse allegations

As Alexander Zverev playing against Carlos Alcaraz in the French Open finals today, the German tennis star is once again in the spotlight. While his on-court success has made him one of the biggest names in tennis, his personal life has also drawn significant attention over the years, including abuse allegations from two former partners. Alexander Zverev’s relationships, abuse allegations and court settlement. (REUTERS) The assault case and settlement Zverev who is 27, was accused of “physically abusing and damaging the health of a woman during an argument in Berlin in May 2020,” according to a court statement. The alleged victim was his former partner Brenda Patea who is also the mother of his daughter. Court documents stated that Zverev allegedly “briefly strangled his then partner on the neck with both hands in the stairwell of a Berlin apartment building during an argument,” leaving her with shortness of breath and considerable pain, per CNN. In October 2023, a German court issued a fine of €450,000 (about $488,000) against Zverev via a penalty order. He denied …

Russia-Ukraine animosity feels hollow at Roland Garros

Russia-Ukraine animosity feels hollow at Roland Garros

The Roland Garros semi-final between Marta Kostyuk and Mirra Andreeva was flatter than expected but was always loaded with meaning. Ukrainian Kostyuk had made three WTA finals this year, winning two. In both, she defeated Russian Andreeva on her way to the title, on the Brisbane hard courts in January and then on Madrid clay at the start of May. Russia’s Mirra Andreeva kisses the trophy after winning the French Open on Saturday. (AFP) Andreeva, of course, went on to beat Poland’s Maja Chwalinska 6-3, 6-2 to win the title on Saturday. In the run up to Roland Garros, Kostyuk had overtaken Andreeva as the brightest female talent on tour, had not lost a match on clay in the season and was stamping her presence on and off the court. But on Thursday evening, Andreeva ensured that in the biggest match of her career, it could not be said that Kostyuk had a number on her. Their rivalry was not merely tennis over the last two years. Kostyuk has criticised Russian and Belarussian players over …

Why Roland Garros groundskeepers are turning to salt to save clay from heatwave

Why Roland Garros groundskeepers are turning to salt to save clay from heatwave

For decades, clay courts have been associated with long rallies, high bounces and physically draining tennis. But at this year’s French Open, players have repeatedly said Roland Garros is playing faster than usual. The reason is not a change in balls or court construction alone — it is the weather. Paris is currently experiencing an unusually intense early-summer heatwave, with temperatures crossing 35°C during the opening week of the tournament. Groundskeepers say the conditions are unlike anything they have dealt with in late May. “What we’re experiencing is unprecedented,” Philippe Vaillant, head of court maintenance at Roland Garros, told the Associated Press. “Even the weather services say it themselves: it’s unprecedented to have temperatures this high for such a long period at this time of year.” The heat is fundamentally altering how clay behaves. Why hot weather changes clay courts Clay courts are moisture-dependent surfaces. Unlike hard courts, their playing characteristics are directly tied to how much water is retained beneath the top layer of crushed brick. When temperatures rise sharply, moisture evaporates faster. The …

Days after prize money protest, Sabalenka wears jewellery worth Rs 97 lakh on court

Days after prize money protest, Sabalenka wears jewellery worth Rs 97 lakh on court

3 min readMay 27, 2026 10:27 AM IST World No.1 Aryna Sabalenka walked onto court at Roland Garros wearing jewellery valued at more than £75,000 (approx Rs 97 lakh) — just days after joining leading players in pushing for a larger share of Grand Slam revenues and improved prize money distribution for lower-ranked professionals. The Belarusian, who opened her French Open campaign with a straight-sets win over Spain’s Jessica Bouzas Maneiro, sported diamond-and-garnet necklaces and earrings reportedly supplied by New York luxury jeweller Material Good. The jewellery was worth more than the prize money earned by players who exited in the first round. Telegraph Sport reported ‘it has provided three necklaces and a pair of earrings worth a total of $148,000 for the tournament’. “Sabalenka elected not to wear the third necklace on court yesterday (Tuesday). The jewellery, which has been designed to coordinate with the Belarusian’s black-and-red Nike dress, includes over 200 carats of garnets and 23 carats of diamonds,” the daily reported. The timing drew attention because the jewellery worn on court was …

Why French Open boycott over prize share might not happen despite loud rumblings | Tennis News

Why French Open boycott over prize share might not happen despite loud rumblings | Tennis News

5 min readMay 8, 2026 09:12 PM IST 1973 was the year Vijay Amritraj notched his best-ever finish at a Major, at a Wimbledon tournament that saw the Czech clay-court savant, Jan Kodes, triumph on grass. The historical oddity took place as a result of a large-scale boycott within the men’s draw; 81 players, including 12 of the 16 seeds, skipped the tournament after the ATP, then a mere players’ union, staged a protest over a harsh ban on their No. 1-ranked player Nikola Pilic. Things went on as usual. Kodes won an event that saw the second-highest attendance up to that date. Alongside Amritraj, a 17-year-old Bjorn Borg and a 20-year-old Jimmy Connors made the last eight of a Major for the first time in their careers. 53 years later and tennis’s stakeholder bodies – splintered and protecting varied interests – face the spectre of collective action once again. World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka feels the players must boycott a Slam to have their voices heard; her male counterpart, Jannik Sinner, believes the players …

Carlos Alcaraz pulls out of Roland Garros 2026

Carlos Alcaraz pulls out of Roland Garros 2026

3 min readUpdated: Apr 24, 2026 10:38 PM IST Defending champion Carlos Alcaraz has pulled out of this year’s French Open, dealing a significant blow to the men’s draw and leaving the clay-court major without one of its brightest stars. In a message posted on social media platform X on Friday, the Spaniard confirmed that he would skip both the Rome Masters and Roland Garros as he continues to recover from a right wrist injury. “After the results of the tests carried out today, we have decided that the most prudent thing is to be cautious and not participate in Rome and Roland Garros, while we wait to assess the evolution to decide when we will return to the court. It’s a complicated moment for me, but I’m sure we’ll come out stronger from here,” Alcaraz wrote. Después de los resultados de las pruebas realizadas hoy, hemos decidido que lo más prudente es ser cautos y no participar en Roma y Roland Garros, a la espera de valorar la evolución para decidir cuándo volveremos a …

Wimbledon joins US Open, Australian Open in introducing VAR-like technology

Wimbledon joins US Open, Australian Open in introducing VAR-like technology

Wimbledon announced on Saturday that from the 2026 edition onwards, they will introduce the Video Review Technology (VRT) for the first time ever. The announcement was made with 100 days to go before the Championship begins on June 29. Wimbledon now joins the US Open and the Australian Open in allowing players to challenge certain calls made by the chair umpire. Past troubles with tech Last year, Wimbledon removed line judges after 176 years and introduced the Electronic Line Calling (ELC) system. But that change immediately came with teething troubles. Emma Radacanu, playing in a home Grand Slam against the World No 1 Aryna Sabalenka, suffered a loss in straight sets and blamed the ELC for getting crucial calls wrong. ‘It’s kind of disappointing, the tournament here, that the calls can be so wrong, but for the most part they’ve been OK. I’ve had a few in my other matches, too, that have been very wrong. Hopefully they can fix that,” Radacanu had said last year. Jack Draper, another home favourite, also complained about the …

Rafael Nadal explains the difference between Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz: ‘They’re different players from what I was’ | Tennis News

Rafael Nadal explains the difference between Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz: ‘They’re different players from what I was’ | Tennis News

Twenty two-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal has explained what differentiates Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, saying that the former was a lot more methodical, while the latter did not have a clear playing pattern, which made him unpredictable. The 39-year-old admitted that he did not identify himself in either player, adding that both Sinner and Alcaraz were a lot different from him. “I don’t identify with either. They’re different players from what I was. I think Carlos is more random. He makes more errors, hits more spectacular shots, sometimes doesn’t such a defined game pattern, which makes him unpredictable and fun for spectators. Jannik is more methodical, focused, with a more defined pattern, and he keeps adding things little by little. That’s why he’s so solid and loses very few matches,” Nadal told AS in an interview. The 14-time French Open champion added that he found it amusing to see that Alcaraz had such a fine year despite having such a “scattered” game. “Sometimes Carlos seems more scattered, but when you look at the …

Tennis-Sabalenka sets the stage as French Open honours King of Clay Nadal | Tennis News

Tennis-Sabalenka sets the stage as French Open honours King of Clay Nadal | Tennis News

By Shrivathsa Sridhar HT Image PARIS -World number one Aryna Sabalenka sounded an early warning siren to her French Open rivals when she dismantled Kamilla Rakhimova in the opening round, while Parisian fans gave Rafa Nadal a special salute as the claycourt major got underway on Sunday. China’s Zheng Qinwen followed Sabalenka into the second round, returning to the venue of her Olympic gold last year and thumping 2021 runner-up Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova before Lorenzo Musetti eased past Yannick Hanfmann in the afternoon sun. With the day session on Court Philippe Chatrier wrapped up, Roland Garros hummed with anticipation as fans who braved spells of morning rain gathered for the showpiece to celebrate Spanish great Nadal at the site of his 14 French Open triumphs. A classy tribute unfolded as the 22-times major winner received a permanent plaque with his footprint on the same clay that witnessed his greatness for two decades. The 38-year-old was joined by his friends and great rivals Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray, as the ‘Big Four’ reunited to applause …