All posts tagged: Gianni Infantino

FIFA lashes out at reports of Gianni Infantino reaching out to Donald Trump to save his job: ‘Pure fiction’

FIFA lashes out at reports of Gianni Infantino reaching out to Donald Trump to save his job: ‘Pure fiction’

FIFA rubbished reports that Gianni Infantino had reached out to US President Donald Trump to save himself from the blushes and keep the top job at the apex football body. The FIFA President has been under fire of late, and UEFA has already confirmed that it has lost trust in Infantino. A lot was made about Infantino after the body reversed the red card given to US player Folarin Balogun at the request of Trump. FIFA cleared the air on the reports of Gianni Infantino reaching out to Donald Trump. (REUTERS) Recently, Infantino faced the wrath of UEFA, CONMEBOL and AFC after he revealed his plan to sell a minority stake in the World Cup‘s commercial rights. The growing opposition to the plan eventually led FIFA to call it off. However, Infantino’s job is now under threat as many voices are calling for the body to have a new chief. Amid the growing opposition to Infantino, a Times report claimed that Infantino repeatedly tried to contact Trump after the commercial rights plan collapsed. The report …

UEFA slams world body’s private investment plans

UEFA slams world body’s private investment plans

2 min readJul 29, 2026 12:53 PM IST European football’s governing body, UEFA, on Tuesday issued a stern threat to FIFA after reports surfaced that FIFA was seeking private investment in the World Cup and other events hosted by the world body. FIFA said on Tuesday that it plans to create a semi-private subsidiary, FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), to sell minority, non-controlling stakes in the business operations of the World Cup and other tournaments. While retaining majority control, FIFA aims to raise $4.2 billion from long-term investors later this year. British newspaper The Times reported that FIFA president Gianni Infantino stood to profit from the scheme after his proposed next term at the helm of the world body runs out in 2031. Reports have also stated that discussions with potential investors were already underway. It comprises Thrive Capital, an investment company founded and led by Joshua Kushner, brother of US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared and a subsidiary of JP Morgan Chase, the US bank that unsuccessfully attempted to bankroll the European Super League. In …

No IOC scrutiny for Infantino over Trump’s intervention at FIFA World Cup | Football News

No IOC scrutiny for Infantino over Trump’s intervention at FIFA World Cup | Football News

2 min readUpdated: Jul 24, 2026 11:34 PM IST FIFA president Gianni Infantino won’t be investigated by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for US President Donald Trump’s role in overturning the suspension of an American player after he had received a red card in the previous match, the Olympic body has said. The IOC said that decisions made during the World Cup was beyond its jurisdiction and it hence cannot investigate Infantino’s alleged lack of political neutrality. The statement comes after a complaint was made by a London-based NGO formally complained to the IOC ethics commission about Infantino. United States forward Folarin Balogun had been handed a red card in their round of 32 match against Bosnia and Herzegovina. However, the mandatory one-game ban was then overturned by FIFA. In the minutes after FIFA announced the decision, reports emerged of Trump having influenced the decision. Trump later admitted to having a conversation with Infantino over telephone to allow Balogun to play in USA’s round of 16 fixture against Belgium, which they lost 4-1. The IOC’s …

La Liga chief Tebas slams Infantino for ‘destroying football industry’

La Liga chief Tebas slams Infantino for ‘destroying football industry’

3 min readJul 21, 2026 08:33 PM IST La Liga president Javier Tebas said that FIFA president Gianni Infantino should step down but due to lack of opposition and the election system being rotten to the core, he is likely to continue. Infantino is all but certain to secure a fourth term in office, with overwhelming support from global football bodies despite recent controversies, according to a report by the Guardian. More than 200 of FIFA’s 211 member associations have reportedly backed Infantino’s re-election bid, with only a handful of nations yet to submit letters of support. Germany remains the most notable holdout among European federations, though most of the continent has confirmed its endorsement, according to the Guardian. “There’s no opposition candidate, nobody wants to stand just to lose. He shouldn’t stay, but the current state of affairs means he won’t leave,” Tebas said in an interview with Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport. “These past few days here in America, I’ve heard many people who are against Infantino, who disagree with what he’s …

Donald Trump reminds fans how his Gianni Infantino talk led to Folarin Balogun’s controversial red card reversal

Donald Trump reminds fans how his Gianni Infantino talk led to Folarin Balogun’s controversial red card reversal

Donald Trump hailed FIFA President Gianni Infantino for helping to lift US player Folarin Balogun’s red card suspension, a decision that drew criticism from football fans. Balogun received a red card against Bosnia and Herzegovina; a decision would see him miss out on his side’s Round of 16 game against Belgium. President Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino speak at a FIFA reception event. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin) But the US President reached out to Infantino, asking to review the decision. FIFA overturned the suspension, allowing Balongun to participate in the match. Even though the Belgian FA and UEFA protested the decision, Balogun was allowed to play, but couldn’t prevent a defeat for the US. Also Read: Donald Trump’s FIFA task force chief defends Argentina after Falklands controversy erupts ‘It’s so much better the way it worked out’: Donald Trump At a FIFA reception event in New York, Trump praised Infantino while standing next to him. “Gianni made yet another of his many good decisions,” he said. Trump claimed that FIFA made the right decision, …

FIFA open to 64-team World Cup in 2030, says president Infantino

FIFA open to 64-team World Cup in 2030, says president Infantino

3 min readUpdated: Jul 13, 2026 12:28 PM IST After the success of the 48-team World Cup, FIFA boss Gianni Infantino has already raised expansion talks, wanting to go up to 64 teams as early as the 2030 World Cup. The Swiss lawyer said the tournament should be “for the whole world,” but admitted that discussing the topic right now would be premature. “These are all issues that we will be examining after the World Cup,” Infantino told Swiss broadcaster Blue Sport. Infantino emphasised the importance of the World Cup being open to as many nations as possible, and not just the best from Europe and South America. “When organising a World Cup, it’s important to organise it for the whole world – not just Europe and South America, but effectively the entire world.” He added, “every nation should be allowed to dream of participating in the World Cup.” After the surprise performances of island nation Cape Verde, who went unbeaten in the group stage against Spain, Uruguay and Saudi Arabia, it is hard to …

No IOC scrutiny for Infantino over Trump’s intervention at FIFA World Cup | Football News

Donald Trump admits he asked FIFA to review Balogun’s World Cup suspension

3 min readUpdated: Jul 6, 2026 09:31 PM IST US President Donald Trump has admitted that he lobbied with FIFA president Gianni Infantino to get USA forward Folarin Balogun’s one-match suspension reviewed, a decision that has caused a furore in the ongoing 2026 World Cup. Balogun was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Bosnia and Herzegovina defender Tarik Muharemovic, which also means a suspension for the next game. However, FIFA later said that the “implementation of the match suspension is suspended for a probationary period of one year”, thus clearing him to play in USA’s next game, the round of 16 clash against Belgium. The decision has been met with intense backlash from multiple quarters, which was only compounded by reports of stating that Trump’s calls to Infantino is what resulted in the suspension of the ban. The US President has now confirmed his role in an interaction with reporters at The Oval Office in the White House. “You’re asking me about the whole soccer thing. So, yeah, I did. I spoke …

Gianni Infantino backs hydration breaks in World Cup: ‘Purely a sporting matter’

Gianni Infantino backs hydration breaks in World Cup: ‘Purely a sporting matter’

3 min readJun 24, 2026 07:15 PM IST FIFA President Gianni Infantino has voiced his support for the hydration breaks at the ongoing 2026 FIFA World Cup, even as managers and supporters continue to express displeasure at the stoppages during matches. Infantino said that football’s governing body were not making revenue from these breaks and they were meant only for sporting reasons. “There is no additional revenue for FIFA, as all commercial agreements were signed well in advance. ‌So, this is not ‌a financial issue for us. For us, it is purely a sporting matter,” Infantino said in ‌a statement on Wednesday. He further added that the hot weather prevailing in North America was the main reason behind introducing the stoppages, and it was important to follow the same rules in all games of the tournament. “The main reason is the heat, but we also have to understand that in a competition like the World Cup, played over 39 days, with teams potentially playing eight matches in those 39 days, having a moment to rest …

Iran coach calls out World Cup’s 47 other managers: ‘I would say something’

Iran coach calls out World Cup’s 47 other managers: ‘I would say something’

3 min readJun 21, 2026 03:27 PM IST Iran coach Amir Ghalenoei has questioned why the other 47 managers at the 2026 FIFA World Cup have remained silent over his team’s treatment by tournament hosts the United States, saying he would have spoken out had another nation faced similar circumstances. “I ask the other 47 coaches a question, and none of them have responded to me,” Ghalenoei said on Saturday ahead of Iran’s Group G clash with Belgium. “We are here for football, not politics. Our grievances are to the way they’ve behaved with us. I haven’t heard anything from other coaches, and I’m sure they’re busy preparing their own teams. But if I had seen another team being treated the way we are being treated, I would say something.” Ghalenoei also struck an emotional note while thanking supporters back home. “I am very glad that the Iranian nation is behind us,” he said. “Our martyrs in Iran, we play for them.” The coach said travel restrictions and visa refusals had disrupted Iran’s preparations during …

Iran to lodge protest with FIFA over travel restrictions

Iran to lodge protest with FIFA over travel restrictions

4 min readJun 19, 2026 06:27 PM IST While Iran made a confident start in the FIFA World Cup with a 2-2 draw against New Zealand in the Group G encounter at Los Angeles earlier this week, the Mehdi Taremi led team had to leave Los Angeles within three hours after the match to head to their training base in Mexico. With the USA government imposing travel restrictions on the Iranian team, it means that the Asian nation’s team has to travel back to Mexico post their matches in the World Cup. With Iran set to face Belgium in their next group match at Los Angeles on Sunday, the Islamic Republic of Iran Football Federation has stated that they will lodge an official complaint with FIFA, the world governing body of football, ahead of their match against Belgium on Sunday. “The football federation of Iran believes that such restrictions are inconsistent with the principle of providing equal conditions for all participating teams and may negatively affect teams’ preparation processes. Consequently, the federation will formally express …