UK court leans on India’s assurances, denies Nirav Modi fresh shot at extradition| India News
A UK court on Wednesday rejected fugitive diamantaire Nirav Modi’s bid to reopen his extradition proceedings, upholding earlier rulings and accepting assurances by the Indian government that he would not be interrogated by investigating agencies if extradited. Fugitive diamantaire Nirav Modi. (Mint File Photo) In an 18-page judgment reviewed by HT, the high court of justice in London bench of Lord Justice Jeremy Stuart-Smith and Justice Robert Jay held that the circumstances to reopen the case were “not exceptional”. The judges accepted India’s assurances, describing them as “specific and not general and vague”, and said they had been given “in good faith and with the intention that they should be binding”. Following the decision, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said Modi’s challenge had been “successfully overcome” through sustained and coordinated efforts. It added that the matter was “strongly argued by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) advocate (Helen Malcolm)”, “ably assisted by a dedicated team of CBI, including investigating officers who travelled to London for the hearing (last week)”. What was Nirav Modi’s appeal? In …


