All posts tagged: Meenakshi

Meenakshi Seshadri recalls CBFC’s Ghatak diktat amid Satluj row

Meenakshi Seshadri recalls CBFC’s Ghatak diktat amid Satluj row

4 min readNew DelhiJul 8, 2026 12:06 PM IST The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) has once again found itself at the centre of controversy following the Satluj row. But as actor Meenakshi Sheshadri recently pointed out, questions over the board’s seemingly inconsistent standards are far from new. For decades, filmmakers have raised concerns over why certain scenes are cleared in one film while similar content faces objections in another, often without detailed public explanations. ‘Keep violence, remove kiss’ Speaking to Faridoon Shahryar, Meenakshi recalled her association with filmmaker Rahul Rawail and actor Sunny Deol, sharing an anecdote from the making of their 1987 film Dacait. “A lot of people don’t know that I had done a screen test for Betaab. Dharam Ji always wanted to cast me. He once told me, ‘I couldn’t cast you then, and you went on to work with Manoj Kumar and Subhash Ghai, and gave a blockbuster like Hero. I have to cast you someday.’ When Ghayal happened, he felt it was poetic justice because I finally worked …

Branded ‘Panauti’ after flops, Meenakshi Seshadri says media wrote her off before comeback | Bollywood News

Branded ‘Panauti’ after flops, Meenakshi Seshadri says media wrote her off before comeback | Bollywood News

3 min readNew DelhiUpdated: Jul 8, 2026 11:19 AM IST Fame and glamour are fleeting. When success is on your side, the industry celebrates you; when it isn’t, the same people are quick to write you off as unlucky. Bollywood has witnessed several such stories over the decades, with the rise and fall of stars like Rajesh Khanna being among the most talked about. But one of the highest-paid actresses of the 1980s, Meenakshi Seshadri, says she too was subjected to similar treatment when a string of her films failed at the box office. When Meenakshi was given the ‘panauti’ tag Meenakshi made her acting debut with Painter Babu in 1983, but the film failed to leave an impression. However, later that year, she rose to stardom with Hero, opposite debutant Jackie Shroff. The success of the film turned her into one of the busiest actresses of the decade, with more than 10 releases in some years. While several of those films became hits, others failed to perform. Recalling a particularly difficult phase in her …

Boxer Meenakshi Hooda on her move to 51kg

Boxer Meenakshi Hooda on her move to 51kg

Meenakshi Hooda was only 12 when she stepped into a boxing ring for the first time. Over the years, she has steadily turned her dreams into reality, climbing the ranks to become a world champion and recently extended her reign as World No. 1 in the 48kg category. But the World Championship title she won last year remains the defining moment of her journey that once began in a small village boxing centre. “Becoming a world champion is everyone’s dream, and it was my dream too. And when I did become one and stood on the podium, the Indian flag was at the top. That was the proudest moment of my life,” Meenakshi told The Bridge. The world champion has trained under Vijay Hooda for the last 12 years, believes coaches are the ones who understand athletes better than their own families. “My family doesn’t know much about boxing. So sometimes my parents and family only see that I didn’t win a medal. But my coach knows how much I have trained. He knows how …

Rejection of Meenakshi Natarajan’s nomination exposes Congress faultlines in Telangana

Rejection of Meenakshi Natarajan’s nomination exposes Congress faultlines in Telangana

Congress Rajya Sabha candidate Meenakshi Natarajan leaves the Madhya Pradesh Assembly in Bhopal after her nomination was rejected on June 9, 2026. | Photo Credit: PTI The political aftershocks of the rejection of All India Congress Committee (AICC) Telangana in-charge Meenakshi Natarajan’s Rajya Sabha nomination from Madhya Pradesh is reverberating across Hyderabad. On June 9, 2026, the Returning Officer for the Rajya Sabha elections decided to invalidate Ms. Natarajan’s nomination on the grounds of non-disclosure of a pending criminal case in her Form 26 affidavit. The procedural dispute over an election affidavit has now spiralled into a narrative battle, exposing organisational deficiencies within the Congress, showcasing the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) agility, and giving the Bharat Rashtra Samiti (BRS) fresh ammunition against the ruling Congress in the State. Despite approaching the top court and the Election Commission of India, Ms. Natarajan has not got any relief. Editorial | ​Lows of the land: On Meenakshi Natarajan’s Rajya Sabha nomination The case in question, stemming from a private complaint in 2022 in Telangana, does not accuse her …

Inquiry to find the responsible in Meenakshi episode: Mahesh Kumar Goud

Inquiry to find the responsible in Meenakshi episode: Mahesh Kumar Goud

TPCC president Mahesh Kumar Goud. | Photo Credit: The Hindu Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee (TPCC) president Mahesh Kumar Goud asserted that the Congress was inquiring into how details related to Meenakshi Natarajan entered the public domain and promised action against those responsible for leaking information. The controversy emerged publicly on June 8 and was subsequently used to influence the nomination process in Madhya Pradesh Rajya Sabha elections, he said in an informal chat with the media. He alleged political interference in the rejection of the nomination of Meenakshi Natarajan, and claimed the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Central government were responsible. Ms. Natarajan’s nomination was rejected despite there being no FIR, crime number or formal criminal case against her and the Returning Officer acted under political pressure. Explanation sought from Shabbir Ali Responding to allegations made by senior Congress leader Mohammed Ali Shabbir that money was involved in granting party posts, he said there was no need to react hastily. An explanation has been sought from Mr. Shabbir Ali, he said and expressed disappointment over …

SC rejects Congress candidate Meenakshi Natarajan’s plea challenging Rajya Sabha setback: ‘Remedy is to approach EC’

SC rejects Congress candidate Meenakshi Natarajan’s plea challenging Rajya Sabha setback: ‘Remedy is to approach EC’

The Supreme Court on Friday rejected Congress candidate Meenakshi Natarajan’s plea challenging the rejection of her Rajya Sabha candidature in Madhya Pradesh. Top top court however said she can file an election petition against the move. New Delhi: Congress leader Meenakshi Natarajan, centre, speaks as party leader Jitu Patwari, right, looks on during a party briefing at AICC office, in New Delhi, Friday, June 12, 2026. (PTI Photo/Salman Ali) (PTI06_12_2026_000096A) (PTI) The top court said that once a nomination is rejected, the only remedy is to approach the Election Commission (EC). “However erroneous the decision may be, once a nomination is rejected, the remedy ordinarily lies elsewhere. Is there any judgment of this Court where we have interfered at that stage?,” the court was quoted as saying by news agency PTI. However, the order comes days after a Congress team led by senior leaders like KC Venugopal and Abhishek Manu Singhvi met EC officials in this regard. This is a breaking news story. It will be updated. Disclaimer: We do not own any of the …

Congress urges EC to reverse Meenakshi Natarajan’s Rajya Sabha nomination rejection

Congress urges EC to reverse Meenakshi Natarajan’s Rajya Sabha nomination rejection

The Congress has approached the Election Commission seeking an immediate reversal of the rejection of Meenakshi Natarajan’s Rajya Sabha nomination from Madhya Pradesh. The party termed the order “egregious” and alleged it undermines democratic principles Disclaimer: We do not own any of the content, ideas, images, or text presented here. All rights belong to their respective owners. For more information and to view the original source, please visit the following link: Source link

Meenakshi Natarajan nomination: Congress leaders eyeing RS seat ‘spoilt’ chances of party nominee, says M.P. CM

Meenakshi Natarajan nomination: Congress leaders eyeing RS seat ‘spoilt’ chances of party nominee, says M.P. CM

Congress leader Meenakshi Natarajan after the party delegation led by party General Secretary KC Venugopal meets the Chief Election Commissioner and other commissioners, in New Delhi on Wednesday, June 10, 2026. | Photo Credit: ANI A day after the nomination of Meenakshi Natarajan, the Congress candidate for one of three Rajya Sabha seats from Madhya Pradesh going to poll on June 18, was rejected during scrutiny, Chief Minister Mohan Yadav said leaders of the Opposition party “eyeing the seat” for themselves were behind the alleged irregularities in her nomination form. The Congress, however, alleged that Ms. Natarajan’s nomination was rejected as part of a “premeditated conspiracy” and all its 62 MLAs would call on President Droupadi Murmu in Delhi on Friday to seek her intervention in the matter. Ms. Natarajan’s nomination was rejected by Assembly Secretary Arvind Sharma, Returning Officer for the election, based on an objection raised by the BJP candidate for the third seat, Mahesh Kewat, and State party general secretary Rahul Kothari. They alleged that the Congress nominee had “hidden” details of …

‘Action illegal, no case against Meenakshi Natarajan’: Congress after EC meeting on RS candidature

‘Action illegal, no case against Meenakshi Natarajan’: Congress after EC meeting on RS candidature

A team of Congress leaders met Election Commission officials on Wednesday over the Rajya Sabha candidature of Meenakshi Natarajan being cancelled in Madhya Pradesh. Following the key meet, Congress MPs Abhishek Manu Singhvi and KC Venugopal held a presser, calling the nomination cancellation “illegal”. AICC General Secretary and Madhya Pradesh in-charge Harish Chaudhary, state Assembly LoP Umang Singhar along with party candidate Meenakshi Natarajan, front centre. (PTI) Explaining the argument, Singhvi said the nomination was rejected citing a criminal case pending against Natarajan, but that is not the case. “The irony is that there is no criminal case that actually exists in law, that is established, that she could have disclosed,” Singhvi said. Venugopal on the other hand said the Congress delegation has made submissions to the EC and have been assured by the poll panel that they will look into the matter. The scrutiny and cancellation of Natarajan’s papers over alleged non-disclosure of some elements had sparked a huge controversy, with several Congress leaders staging a dharna outside the EC offices in Delhi and …

Rajya Sabha polls: Congress candidate Meenakshi Natarajan’s nomination rejected; party delegation to meet ECI

Rajya Sabha polls: Congress candidate Meenakshi Natarajan’s nomination rejected; party delegation to meet ECI

A dramatic day of political developments in Madhya Pradesh’s capital Bhopal, that began with several Congress MLAs heading to the airport to leave for Bengaluru, ended with the nomination of Meenakshi Natarajan, the party candidate for one of three Rajya Sabha seats from the State, being rejected during scrutiny. This prompted top Congress leaders, led by its national general secretary K.C. Venugopal, to stage a sit-in outside the Election Commission of India (ECI)’s office in New Delhi.   The rejection came at a time when a batch of Congress MLAs was en route to Bengaluru amid fears of cross- voting in the polls, prompting the State leaders to ask them to return to Bhopal.  Ms. Natarajan accused the BJP of having “moved from vote theft to seat theft”. After Meenakshi Natarajan’s nomination rejection, Congress delegation turns away by EC “It started when the BJP fielded a third candidate despite not having the adequate number of members, and we started to understand the kind of politics it is practising with democracy and the Constitution. What was …