All posts tagged: racketeering

Prosecutors drop racketeering case against New Jersey Democratic power broker, co-defendants| India News

Prosecutors drop racketeering case against New Jersey Democratic power broker, co-defendants| India News

New Jersey’s acting attorney general said Tuesday she will not ask the state Supreme Court to review the dismissal of racketeering charges against Democratic power broker George E. Norcross III and those charged alongside him. Prosecutors drop racketeering case against New Jersey Democratic power broker, co-defendants The decision by Jennifer Davenport, who was recently appointed by new Gov. Mikie Sherrill, came nearly three weeks after a three-judge appellate panel upheld a state judge’s decision to toss the criminal charges. The indictment had been obtained by Matt Platkin, who served as attorney general under Sherrill’s predecessor and fellow Democrat Phil Murphy. “In light of the Appellate Division’s decision, we have concluded that our prosecutorial resources would be best spent on other matters,” the attorney general’s office said in a statement. “Our office remains committed to prioritizing public corruption prosecutions in this time of deepening mistrust in government.” The charges stemmed from a June 2024 indictment announced by Platkin at a news conference at which Norcross himself took the unusual step of appearing in person and sitting …

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs jury to be seated in hip-hop mogul’s sex trafficking trial | Hollywood

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs jury to be seated in hip-hop mogul’s sex trafficking trial | Hollywood

* Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs jury to be seated in hip-hop mogul’s sex trafficking trial Combs pleads not guilty to racketeering, sex trafficking * Twelve jurors and six alternates to be chosen * Judge questioned nearly 100 prospective jurors By Jack Queen and Luc Cohen NEW YORK, – A jury of 12 New Yorkers is due to be chosen on Friday in the racketeering and sex trafficking trial of hip-hop mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs, who could face decades or even life in prison if convicted. The rapper has pleaded not guilty to one count of racketeering conspiracy, two counts of sex trafficking and two counts of transportation for prostitution – all felonies. Over three days this week, the judge overseeing the case questioned nearly 100 prospective jurors on subjects including what they had heard about Combs’ case and any experiences they had had with sexual assault. With input from defense lawyers and prosecutors, U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian in Manhattan dismissed the jurors he deemed unfit to serve and settled on 45 candidates qualified to serve …

Diddy trial: Full list of allegations and charges against the rapper

Diddy trial: Full list of allegations and charges against the rapper

The trial of Sean “Diddy” Combs, one of the most prominent figures in global hip-hop and business, is scheduled to begin in New York on May 5 with jury selection. Federal authorities have launched a multi-layered case against the music mogul, alleging a disturbing pattern of behavior spanning decades, as reported by The BBC. What began with civil lawsuits has evolved into full-blown federal charges, including sex trafficking, racketeering, and conspiracy. One of the most well-known names in hip-hop and business worldwide, Sean “Diddy” Combs, is currently facing a broad criminal investigation that has drastically changed the focus from music and businesses to a number of grave legal charges.(REUTERS) Also read: Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs confirms he rejected plea offer ahead of sex trafficking trial Here are the key allegations and charges currently facing the rapper: 1. Sex trafficking and coercion Federal prosecutors allege that Combs operated a network to recruit and coerce young women into sexual activities, often under the influence of drugs or alcohol. These events, referred to in legal documents as “Freak Offs,” …

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs accuses news channel of ‘editing and destroying’ original Cassie assault video | Hollywood News

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs accuses news channel of ‘editing and destroying’ original Cassie assault video | Hollywood News

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs’ legal team is accusing news channel CNN of destroying what they claim was the only footage showing the disgraced music mogul assaulting Cassie in a hotel hallway back in 2016, according to court documents obtained by TMZ. The joint letter, submitted by both the defence and prosecution, addresses the handling of key evidence in the case ahead of the sex trafficking trial. Combs’ attorneys allege that the media outlet purchased the surveillance video, which captured the incident at the now-closed Intercontinental Hotel in California. The footage was then released in May 2024, with claims that it was originally recorded on March 5, 2016. Also read: Who is Sean “Diddy” Combs and why is his arrest significant? Story continues below this ad After the footage went public, Combs posted an Instagram video apologising for his actions, calling his behaviour “inexcusable,” without mentioning Cassie. He admitted he was “f–ked up” at the time but expressed regret for what happened. Now, according to the letter (via TMZ), “CNN purchased the only known copy of the …

Sean Diddy Combs Abandons Effort to Secure Bail Amid Racketeering and Trafficking Charges, Will Remain Jailed Until 2025 Trial: Report

Sean Diddy Combs Abandons Effort to Secure Bail Amid Racketeering and Trafficking Charges, Will Remain Jailed Until 2025 Trial: Report

Trigger Warning: This article contains mentions of drugs and sexual abuse.  Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs has voluntarily dropped all efforts to be released on bail and will remain behind bars until his scheduled May 5, 2025, trial on charges of sex trafficking, racketeering, and transportation to engage in prostitution. People reported the update on December 14, citing new court documents. The disgraced music mogul was indicted by a grand jury in September, shortly before he was arrested at an NYC hotel on September 16. A 14-page federal indictment unveiled the following day accused the rapper of using his money and celebrity status to abuse, threaten, and coerce women into fulfilling his sexual desires for decades, per ABC. ALSO READ: A-List Stars Face Ultimatum Over Diddy’s Alleged Freak-Off Parties: Settle Or Be Sued Diddy has denied the allegations and pleaded not guilty to the charges. He, however, was denied bail three times on separate occasions by different judges and remains detained at Brooklyn’s infamous Metropolitan Detention Center. Most recently, federal judge Arun Subramanian ruled that “no condition or combination of conditions …

Prosecutors seek February trial for 5 remaining defendants indicted with rapper Young Thug

Prosecutors seek February trial for 5 remaining defendants indicted with rapper Young Thug

Dec 07, 2024 01:50 AM IST Prosecutors seek February trial for 5 remaining defendants indicted with rapper Young Thug ATLANTA — Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is seeking to hold a trial early next year for the last five defendants who were originally indicted along with Atlanta rapper Young Thug. Prosecutors seek February trial for 5 remaining defendants indicted with rapper Young Thug A final plea hearing for the five is set for Dec. 17 and Willis filed a motion Friday asking that a trial begin on Feb. 24. She estimates that a trial would last about three months. A grand jury in May 2022 indicted 28 people, including Young Thug, and charged them with racketeering. The indictment said the rapper co-founded a violent street gang that committed multiple murders, shootings and carjackings over roughly a decade and promoted its activities in songs and on social media. A trial for Young Thug, whose given name is Jeffery Williams, and five others began in November 2023 after it took nearly 10 months to seat a …

Jennifer Lopez struggles with ‘anxiety’ over Diddy’s arrest and past relationship, avoids public talk | Hollywood

Jennifer Lopez struggles with ‘anxiety’ over Diddy’s arrest and past relationship, avoids public talk | Hollywood

Jennifer Lopez is not enjoying any moment of being connected to ex-Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs as he is currently lodged in Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Centre, as reported by sources. The disgraced mogul was arrested in September for sex trafficking and racketeering and awaits his trial scheduled for May 5, 2025. JLo is trying her best to avoid conversations about Diddy in public and his supposed involvement in the charges against him. Lopez and the rapper dated from 1999 to 2001. Amid Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs’ legal troubles, Jennifer Lopez is trying to steer clear of discussions about him.(X) Also Read: Ben Affleck appears cozy with Jennifer Garner on Thanksgiving, while Jennifer Lopez plans to have… Lopez avoids Diddy talk in public According to the OK! Magazine, a source revealed to a news outlet, “It’s no secret they had a very volatile relationship, but she doesn’t want to talk about it and is desperately hoping it will all just go away.” The source continued, “Jennifer is ignoring all questions about Diddy, but she can’t ignore the anxiety that …

Jury are deliberating in the long-running YSL gang and racketeering trial | World News

Jury are deliberating in the long-running YSL gang and racketeering trial | World News

ATLANTA — Deliberations are underway in Atlanta after a year of testimony in the gang and racketeering trial that originally included the rapper Young Thug. Jury are deliberating in the long-running YSL gang and racketeering trial Jurors are considering whether to convict Shannon Stillwell and Deamonte Kendrick, who raps as Yak Gotti, on gang, murder, drug and gun charges. The original indictment charged 28 people with conspiring to violate Georgia’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. Opening statements in the trial for six of those defendants happened a year ago. Four of them, including Young Thug, pleaded guilty last month. The rapper was freed on probation. Stillwell and Kendrick rejected plea deals after more than a week of negotiations, and their lawyers chose not to present evidence or witnesses. Both seemed to be in good spirits Tuesday morning after closings wrapped the previous night. Kendrick was chatting and laughing with Stillwell and his lawyers before the jury arrived for instructions. Kendrick and Stillwell were charged in the 2015 killing of Donovan Thomas Jr., also known …

Prosecutors seek February trial for 5 remaining defendants indicted with rapper Young Thug

Jurors end 1st day of deliberations without a verdict in the YSL gang and racketeering trial

ATLANTA — Deliberations are underway in Atlanta after a year of testimony in the gang and racketeering trial that originally included the rapper Young Thug. Jurors end 1st day of deliberations without a verdict in the YSL gang and racketeering trial Jurors are considering whether to convict Shannon Stillwell and Deamonte Kendrick, who raps as Yak Gotti, on gang, murder, drug and gun charges. The original indictment charged 28 people with conspiring to violate Georgia’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. Opening statements in the trial for six of those defendants happened a year ago. Four of them, including Young Thug, pleaded guilty last month. The rapper was freed on probation. Stillwell and Kendrick rejected plea deals after more than a week of negotiations, and their lawyers chose not to present evidence or witnesses. Both seemed to be in good spirits Tuesday morning after closings wrapped the previous night. Kendrick was chatting and laughing with Stillwell and his lawyers before the jury arrived for instructions. The jury started deliberating Tuesday afternoon and was dismissed at …

Diddy ‘broke’ jail rules, used his kids to ‘corruptly’ influence jurors, blackmail victims: Report | Hollywood

Diddy ‘broke’ jail rules, used his kids to ‘corruptly’ influence jurors, blackmail victims: Report | Hollywood

Behind the façade of a loving family celebration, prosecutors claim that Sean “Diddy” Combs orchestrated a calculated scheme to sway public opinion and potentially influence a jury and witnesses. The disgraced music mogul, held on charges related to sex trafficking, racketeering, and other sexual assault cases, has now been accused of undermining the justice process. Allegations include evading surveillance and orchestrating a social media campaign, according to new court documents obtained on November 15. Diddy is reportedly terrified in jail, fearing gang retaliation for Tupac’s murder. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens, File)(AP) Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs faces claims of jail rule breach The bad boy record producer, whose latest million-dollar bail proposal was denied, faces new allegations of misconduct while behind bars. Prosecutors claim Sean “Diddy” Combs used the phones of at least ‘eight other inmates and relied on an unauthorised third-party messaging service to contact multiple individuals in addition to using his kids’ birthday video for him as some kind of campaign. The federal government further asserts that Combs has “repeatedly” violated prison regulations by engaging in …