All posts tagged: Respond

Protests in Visakhapatnam, Thane against mega data centres over water, public resources; Amazon, Google respond

Protests in Visakhapatnam, Thane against mega data centres over water, public resources; Amazon, Google respond

India’s ambition to become an artificial intelligence (AI) powerhouse is beginning to face the kind of local resistance that has slowed data centre projects in parts of Europe and North America. In Thane and Visakhapatnam, residents have launched what are among the country’s first organised protests against large data centres, arguing that the projects could put additional pressure on land, electricity and water. Thane residents have questioned the government and proposed Amazon AI data facility on questions of environmental transparency, depleting of essential resources, and long-term impact on residents’ lives. (HT Photo/Praful Gangurde) The protests come as the Centre encourages investment in digital infrastructure. At the AI Impact Summit in February, Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged global technology companies to let their data “reside in India”, pitching the country as a hub for AI infrastructure. Data centres were granted infrastructure status in 2022, while this year’s Union Budget announced a tax holiday until 2047 for eligible foreign cloud service providers. Several states have also introduced policies and incentives to attract investment. “Half of Thane is …

Delhi High Court grants Sonia, Rahul three weeks to respond to ED plea in National Herald case

Delhi High Court grants Sonia, Rahul three weeks to respond to ED plea in National Herald case

Justice Manoj Jain said the court will hear the case on September 10. File. | Photo Credit: The Hindu The Delhi High Court on Monday (July 27, 2026) granted three weeks to Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, and others to reply to the Enforcement Directorate (ED) plea challenging a trial court order that refused to take cognisance of its chargesheet against them in the National Herald-linked money laundering case. The court posted the matter for hearing on September 10. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the ED, said the trial court had “gone terribly wrong” in the case, and the respondents had filed no reply despite the High Court giving them time to do so two months ago. “This is only a question of law. Time to file reply was given two months ago…,” Mr. Mehta said. Besides the Gandhis, the High Court has issued notices to Suman Dubey, Sam Pitroda, Young Indian, Dotex Merchandise Private Limited, and Sunil Bhandari on ED’s plea. In its order, the trial court had said that an investigation …

Govt extends deadline for WhatsApp to respond to username issue to July 9

Govt extends deadline for WhatsApp to respond to username issue to July 9

The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has extended Meta’s deadline for its response on the WhatsApp username issue by another three days. A government official told HT on Sunday that the new deadline is now July 9. WhatsApp introduced a username feature that would allow messaging on the platform without sharing one’s phone number. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner) Earlier this week, ministry officials gave WhatsApp till July 6 to respond to the username feature on the messaging platform. According to people familiar with the matter, this notice to Meta was issued after the government called for a detailed explanation regarding the feature. WhatsApp introduced a username feature that would allow messaging on the platform without sharing one’s phone number. Meta further stated that the username is different from a display name, which appears on a user’s profile. While display names do not have to be unique, usernames will be unique to each account. Also Read | WhatsApp username rollout: All FAQs on scams, safety and privacy explained Sources told HT earlier that the government has …

Ronaldo could respond to WC critics with hat-trick, says Owen

Ronaldo could respond to WC critics with hat-trick, says Owen

2 min readUpdated: Jun 22, 2026 10:32 AM IST Cristiano Ronaldo’s indifferent start to his record sixth World Cup appearance last weeek against DR Congo has sharpened the criticism of the waning abilities of the Portugal superstar. Ronaldo endured a forgettable night, with just three shots to show, after playing full 90 minutes in a tame 1-1 draw against Congo in their Group K opener. The 41-year-old soon became the face of criticism, with pundits and former footballers slamming Ronaldo’s contribution, besides being obsessed with the idea of hunting for goals from the box. Ronaldo’s lacklustre performance was in sharp contrast to his long-time rival Lionel Messi’s sparkling hat-trick for Argentina earlier that day in a 3-0 win over Algeria. While their recent outings have widened the gulf between the duo, former Ballon d’Or winner Michael Owen has backed Ronaldo to turn around his poor form around. ALSO READ | Yin & Yang: A statistical breakdown of Messi & Ronaldo’s first World Cup games Portugal next play Uzbekistan in Houston on Tuesday night, and Owen …

Burqa-clad NEET aspirant allegedly denied entry for re-exam; police, NTA respond

Burqa-clad NEET aspirant allegedly denied entry for re-exam; police, NTA respond

As over 22 lakh aspirants appeared to take the NEET UG re-exam on Sunday, a student from Rajasthan was allegedly stopped from entering the exam centre in Ajmer for wearing a burqa. The student’s father also told reporters that his daughter appeared for the May 3 exam in her burqa. (ANI/Representational ) Speaking to reporters, the candidate alleged she was denied entry into the centre due to her burqa. As per ANI, the candidate added that she wore the same attire to the first exam on May 3, where she was not denied entry. Track LIVE updates on the NEET UG re-exam “I was in the same attire then as I am now: wearing a burqa and a dupatta. Initially, they said I would have to remove the dupatta to enter; then they insisted I had to remove the burqa as well. If the NTA has permitted us, these people cannot stop us… If I am to take the exam and they don’t allow me in this attire, then I simply won’t take it,” said …

‘Boys will respond to your ideas’

‘Boys will respond to your ideas’

3 min readUpdated: Jun 7, 2026 10:39 AM IST Suryakumar Yadav may lost captaincy of the Indian T20I team, and possibly his place in it as well, on Saturday but seemed to have no qualms in congratulating Shreyas Iyer, with whom he has shared dressing rooms in domestic cricket for many a year, and wishing 15-year-old Vaibhav Sooryavanshi well ahead of India’s tours of Ireland and England. Suryakumar’s time as India captain came to an end on Friday with chairman of selectors Ajit Agarkar and BCCI secretary Devajit Saikia announcing Iyer as the new incumbent in a role. “Very happy that a Mumbaikar is going to lead in T20I. Wishing you all the luck. Boys are super amazing. They will definitely respond well to your ideas,” said Suryakumar in a post on his Instagram stories along with a pic of him hugging Iyer. “Be yourself. I am watching you closely,” he cheekily concluded. Suryakumar earlier also wished the Indian team that was announced all the best and reserved special words of praise for Sooryavanshi, who …

Exclusive | Amaal Mallik: Take 60 films away from me, I will respond with Awarapan 2

Exclusive | Amaal Mallik: Take 60 films away from me, I will respond with Awarapan 2

Apart from his music, composer and singer Amaal Mallik is often trending online for his unfiltered revelations on social media. “Not many from Bollywood want to call a spade a spade,” says Amaal, talking about being vocal with his thoughts. Ahead of his upcoming concert in Gurugram on June 5, we ask him if there was ever a time, during his hustling days, that the singer wanted to give up and take a step back from the industry. Amaal Mallik Disclaimer: We do not own any of the content, ideas, images, or text presented here. All rights belong to their respective owners. For more information and to view the original source, please visit the following link: Source link

What is Ella Bright and Belmont Cameli’s age difference? ‘Off Campus’ stars respond as chemistry sizzles

What is Ella Bright and Belmont Cameli’s age difference? ‘Off Campus’ stars respond as chemistry sizzles

The real-life age difference between Ella Bright and Belmont Cameli has become a major talking point among Off Campus viewers following the success of the series. Bright, who plays Hannah Wells in the adaptation of Elle Kennedy’s bestselling novel, is currently 19 years old, and Cameli, who portrays Garrett Graham, is 28. The actors have an age gap of almost nine years. Ella Bright and Belmont Cameli’s age difference has become a talking point for fans as their on-screen chemistry sizzles in Off Campus. (Instagram/ellabright_) The online discussion intensified after fans discovered that Bright was only 18, and Cameli was already in his late twenties while shooting the series. The discussions about the pair quickly spread across social media after the show’s release earlier this month. Amid the discussion, both the cast and creators of Off Campus have publicly addressed the topic. Bright recently explained that the close working environment helped her to build a strong friendship with Cameli during the production. Bright also said that Cameli is one of her closest friends from the …

Here’s how Iran could respond to renewed US strikes amid Trump’s threats | World News

Here’s how Iran could respond to renewed US strikes amid Trump’s threats | World News

3 min readMay 19, 2026 10:32 PM IST The fate of fragile ceasefire between US and Iran remains uncertain after President Donald Trump first issued threats of renewing the offensive against Tehran but later said the American military paused its Tuesday strikes after intervention from Gulf allies amid “serious negotiations.” However, Iranians have been preparing for a possible resumption of war. Iranian authorities have reportedly said that they will not “hesitate” to extract a heavy price from its neighbours and the global economy if the country is attacked again by US-Israel, New York Times reported. Iran’s army on Tuesday issued another warning that it will open “new fronts” of war against Washington if it resumes its attack on the country. What is Iran anticipating if US-Israel resume strikes? When US-Israel launched its strikes against Iran on February 28, the Islamic Republic was expecting a prolonged conflict of around three months, New York Times reported quoting Hamidreza Azizi, an expert on Iranian security issues at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs. Azizi added that …

Telangana High Court refuses to halt KBR Park construction, asks state, Centre to respond | Hyderabad News

Telangana High Court refuses to halt KBR Park construction, asks state, Centre to respond | Hyderabad News

3 min readApr 1, 2026 09:21 AM IST The Telangana High Court Tuesday refused to grant any stay on the ongoing works around KBR National Park in Hyderabad and asked the state government and the Centre to explain their stand on the activities undertaken by the municipal authorities. The Division Bench of Chief Justice Aparesh Kumar Singh and Justice G M Mohiuddin was dealing with a batch of Public Interest Litigation (PIL) petitions challenging the felling of trees for the construction of multilayer flyovers around KBR National Park. The bench directed Advocate General A Sudarshan Reddy and Assistant Solicitor General of India B Narasimha Reddy to file additional affidavits if required and adjourned the matter for further hearing on May 5. P Sree Ramya, counsel in one of the PILs, informed the court that the work was progressing in violation of Supreme Court guidelines on eco-sensitive zones. She said this was being done without a public hearing, an environmental impact assessment, or a pollution study, despite a clear high court direction issued in August 2021. …