3 min readMumbaiMar 24, 2026 08:30 PM IST
In its ongoing crackdown on polluting construction sites, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has issued a notice to the Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA), directing it to take action against a developer in Andheri West for failing to halt work despite violations of the city’s air pollution norms.
According to BMC officials, the developer, Embassy Developments Limited, continued construction activity even after being served a stop-work notice in January 2026. During an inspection carried out earlier this month, officials found work ongoing at the site.
Calling the matter “most urgent,” the BMC urged the authority to act against the developer, architect and owner for non-compliance with air pollution guidelines.
The civic body has also written to the senior inspector of Santacruz police station to remove workers deployed at the site.
A senior SRA official said the matter has been forwarded to the departments concerned and action will be taken.
In response, Embassy Developments Limited said the notice was part of a broader communication issued to multiple sites and not specific to its project.
“We have complied with the majority of the directives and are in the process of addressing the remaining requirements related to air quality. This will be completed shortly, and we will submit a compliance report to the BMC,” the company said, adding that it remains committed to full compliance.
On January 28, the BMC’s K/West ward had issued a stop-work notice to Embassy Developments Limited, which is executing an SRA project near the Juhu depot in Andheri West, for failing to comply with air pollution mitigation norms. The civic body had introduced a 28-point action plan in October 2023 to curb pollution at construction sites.
Story continues below this ad
Officials said the inspection revealed multiple violations, including the absence of sensor-based pollution monitoring, lack of water sprinkling, uncovered construction debris, and cutting and grilling work being carried out without protective covering. The BMC had directed the developer to cease all work under Section 354A of the MMC Act.
However, during a follow-up inspection on March 7, ward officials found that construction work was still underway in violation of the stop-work notice.
Subsequently, on March 18, the K/West ward office wrote to the SRA seeking action against the developer.
© The Indian Express Pvt Ltd
Disclaimer: We do not own any of the content, ideas, images, or text presented here. All rights belong to their respective owners. For more information and to view the original source, please visit the following link:

