Last Updated:
Noida CEO Lokesh M was removed after Yuvraj Mehta drowned in a waterlogged pit. Yogi Adityanath ordered a probe and SIT action. Akhilesh Yadav blamed administrative negligence.
Techie Yuvraj Mehta (left) drowned after seeking help for two hours; (right) The unsuccessful rescue efforts to locate him. (PTI)
The Uttar Pradesh government has removed Noida Authority CEO Lokesh M from his post following mounting outrage and administrative action over the death of Yuvraj Mehta, 27, who fell into a waterlogged construction pit and drowned.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath took cognisance of the incident and ordered a high-level probe. Acting on his directions, a three-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) was constituted, headed by the Meerut Divisional Commissioner, with the ADG of Meerut Zone and the Chief Engineer of the Public Works Department (PWD) as members. The SIT was tasked with submitting its report within five days.
The decision to remove the Noida Authority CEO came after the SIT submitted its investigation progress report, which included a chemical analysis conducted by the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC). Officials said the findings, along with the overall assessment of administrative lapses, led to immediate action.
What happened to Yuvraj Mehta
Yuvraj Mehta was just minutes away from his home when tragedy struck. His SUV crashed through a damaged roadside barrier and plunged into a deep, water-filled construction pit that had been excavated for an ongoing project. Dense fog that night had severely reduced visibility, making the pit nearly impossible to see. Crucially, there were no barricades, reflectors or warning lights at the site, despite earlier complaints flagging it as a serious hazard. Read More.
As the vehicle sank rapidly in the water, Mehta—who reportedly did not know how to swim—struggled to escape. He managed to climb out and sit on the roof of the submerged SUV. Using his phone’s torch, he repeatedly flashed light through the fog and shouted for help.
In a final, desperate phone call to his father, Mehta said: “Dad, I’m drowning, please come save me.” Rescue, however, did not arrive in time, and he lost his life, triggering widespread anger and grief.
Political reaction and next steps
Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav expressed condolences and blamed alleged administrative negligence. In a post on X, he said, “This is extremely sad and a tragedy that occurred due to government negligence—something that could have been prevented in time. The pain of losing one’s own can only be understood by the bereaved family.”
बेहद दुःखद और एक ऐसी घटना जो सरकारी लापरवाही के कारण हुई, जो समय रहते टाली जा सकती थी।अपनों के जाने का दर्द परिवारवाले ही समझ सकते हैं। pic.twitter.com/g4rb7Adv05
— Akhilesh Yadav (@yadavakhilesh) January 19, 2026
The state government has said strict action will be taken against all those found responsible once the SIT submits its final report, with accountability to be fixed for lapses that led to the fatal incident.
January 19, 2026, 19:14 IST
Read More
Disclaimer: We do not own any of the content, ideas, images, or text presented here. All rights belong to their respective owners. For more information and to view the original source, please visit the following link:
