NCP (SP) chief Sharad Pawar will represent the Opposition in Rajya Sabha, with the Congress declaring support for him in the March 16 Rajya Sabha polls.
Congress MLA Vijay Wadettiwar said his party had decided to extend support to Pawar after a call from the high command and party chief Mallikarjun Kharge, ANI news agency reported.
This comes after initial disagreement between the Maha Vikas Aghadi alliance constituents regarding the lone winnable Rajya Sabha seat for the Opposition in Maharashtra.
Earlier, all three parties – NCP(SP), Congress and Shiv Sena (UBT) had previously staked claim to the seat. The Congress had cited their national party status, while Sena (UBT) had said it has the “first right” owing to Maharashtra Assembly numbers.
‘Abiding by ethics’: Cong MLA Wadettiwar
Congress’s Wadettiwar said his party had earlier claimed the seat owing to its “national party” status. “There was a strong demand for it,” the Congress leader said, adding that they had been contacted by several leaders from the NCP Sharad Pawar faction, who also reached out to Uddhav Thackeray.
“Among them, Sharad Pawar is the senior-most… We are abiding by the ethics of the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA). Our high command has decided to support Pawar Saheb,” ANI cited Wadettiwar as saying.
Wadettiwar and Maharashtra Congress president Harshwardhan Sapkal had, last month, staked claim to the seat, asserting that a united decision was needed to effectively challenge the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Disclaimer: We do not own any of the content, ideas, images, or text presented here. All rights belong to their respective owners. For more information and to view the original source, please visit the following link:
