All posts tagged: shutdown

Direct payment to buy health insurance? What President Trump said about ObamaCare amid government shutdown

Direct payment to buy health insurance? What President Trump said about ObamaCare amid government shutdown

Published on: Nov 09, 2025 12:18 am IST President Donald Trump on Truth Social slammed ObamaCare and recommended that money be sent directly to the people.  President Donald Trump, on Saturday, recommended that money be sent directly to people so they can buy their own health insurance. At the same time, he blasted ObamaCare or the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). President Donald Trump previously touted direct payments to US taxpayers in other areas as well.(Bloomberg) Taking to Truth Social, Trump stated “I am recommending to Senate Republicans that the Hundreds of Billions of Dollars currently being sent to money sucking Insurance Companies in order to save the bad Healthcare provided by ObamaCare, BE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE PEOPLE SO THAT THEY CAN PURCHASE THEIR OWN, MUCH BETTER, HEALTHCARE, and have money left over.” He added that money would be taken from ‘BIG, BAD Insurance Companies’ and given to the people. Further, the president called on Senate Republicans to ‘terminate, per Dollar spent, the worst Healthcare anywhere in the World, ObamaCare.’ The POTUS …

US air travel disruptions live updates: Flight cuts ordered at major airports as shutdown strains air traffic control; airlines move to adjust schedules | World News

US air travel disruptions live updates: Flight cuts ordered at major airports as shutdown strains air traffic control; airlines move to adjust schedules | World News

Staffing shortages have already caused tens of thousands of flight delays nationwide, with airlines estimating that at least 3.2 million travellers have been affected. (File Representational Photo) US air travel disruptions live updates: US airlines were scrambling to adjust schedules and handle a surge in passenger queries on Thursday after Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced plans to slash flights at some of the country’s busiest airports, Reuters reported. Duffy said the cuts were necessary to address air traffic control safety concerns as the federal government shutdown, now the longest in US history, entered its 37th day. The first round of reductions, affecting about 4 per cent of scheduled flights, is expected to begin on Friday and could rise to 10 per cent next week if the stalemate continues, according to industry officials quoted by Reuters.   FAA cites controller fatigue, safety risks: During a joint briefing with Duffy, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) chief Bryan Bedford said the decision followed reports of fatigue among unpaid air traffic controllers. “It is unusual, just as the shutdown is unusual, …

As Thug Life and Hari Hara Veera Mallu gear up for release, theatres in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana likely to face complete shutdown from June 1 | Telugu News

As Thug Life and Hari Hara Veera Mallu gear up for release, theatres in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana likely to face complete shutdown from June 1 | Telugu News

In a significant development that could affect several South Indian films gearing up for release, including Mani Ratnam and Kamal Haasan’s Thug Life, theatres in the Telugu states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana are likely to face a complete shutdown starting June 1. Exhibitors are planning to take stringent steps against the current rental-based revenue model and have reportedly agreed to switch to a percentage-based model. On Sunday, Cinema Express reported the exhibitors held the first joint meeting with their association concerned, and as many as 60 members, including biggies such as Dil Raju and Suresh Babu, were present on the occasion. During the discussion, they also decided to formally issue a request and a bandh notice. The meeting, which attracted attention due to the notable absence of several bigwigs, suggesting a disagreement over the proposal, apparently also saw exhibitors expressing dissatisfaction with the short window between a movie’s theatrical and OTT release. The members are reportedly planning to push for a longer window, at least for films that perform well in theatres. Also Read …

Nagaland government appeals to trade bodies to call off shutdown

Nagaland government appeals to trade bodies to call off shutdown

The Nagaland government has appealed to the Confederation of Nagaland Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CNCCI) not to go ahead with the proposed indefinite shutdown of businesses across nine districts starting May 19. The indefinite shutdown decision was announced by Khekugha Muru, president of CNCCI, the parent body of the 11 District Chamber of Commerce and Industries (DCCIs) in the state. They are demanding that the state government nominate representatives from DCCIs into all Urban Local Bodies (ULBs), particularly town councils. The districts which would join the proposed indefinite shutdown are Dimapur, Chumoukedima, Niuland, Peren, Wokha, Zunheboto, Phek, Tseminyu, and Meluri. Talking to PTI here, Nagaland government Advisor for Municipal Affairs and Urban Development, and MLA Zhaleo Rio, said that the government has already made significant efforts to include members of the business community in civic decision-making. “It is not that the government has not looked into the matter,” he said, adding that at least three members have already been nominated to three different ULBs including Dimapur Municipal Council (DMC), Kohima MC and Mokokchung MC. …

Shutdown, mass gatherings mark 2nd anniversary of Manipur conflict | India News

Shutdown, mass gatherings mark 2nd anniversary of Manipur conflict | India News

A statewide shutdown and mass gatherings marked the second anniversary of the ethnic clashes between the Meitei and Kuki-Zo communities of Manipur on Saturday. Shutdowns, observed in both the Meitei-majority Imphal Valley and the Kuki-Zo-dominated hill districts, brought life to a grinding halt across the state. In capital Imphal, all government and private institutions, including schools and colleges, remained closed. Public transportation stayed off the road and business establishments remained closed. Story continues below this ad While the Coordinating Committee on Manipur Integrity (COCOMI) enforced the shutdown in the valley, the Zomi Students’ Federation (ZSF) and the Kuki Students’ Organisation (KSO) led similar actions in the hill areas. In Imphal, COCOMI organised a public convention at Khuman Lampak Stadium, where speakers urged the central government to ensure the “free and safe movement” of all residents in the state. Thousands of people attended the event. Christened the ‘Manipur People’s Convention’, it adopted a resolution accusing the Centre of failing in its responsibilities and called for an immediate and time-bound roadmap to restore peace and normalcy. The …

Shutdown in Manipur to mark two years of ethnic violence | Latest News India

Shutdown in Manipur to mark two years of ethnic violence | Latest News India

May 03, 2025 10:25 AM IST It was on this day in 2023 that ethnic clashes broke out between the Meteis and Kukis, which left over 260 people killed and 1,500 injured. Shutdown called by various groups on Saturday to mark two years of the ethnic strife in Manipur affected normal lives in both the Maitei-controlled Imphal Valley and the Kuki-dominated hill districts. Markets were shut, public vehicles remained off the roads, and private offices remained closed across the state.(File Image) Meitei group Coordinating Committee on Manipur Integrity (COCOMI) called a shutdown in the valley districts, while the Zomi Students Federation (ZSF) and the Kuki Students Organisation (KSO) have imposed the shutdown in the hill districts. It was on this day in 2023 that ethnic clashes broke out between the Meteis and Kukis, which left over 260 people killed, 1,500 injured, and over 70,000 people displaced, according to officials. Markets were shut, public vehicles remained off the roads, and private offices remained closed across the state. A few private vehicles were seen on the roads …

Today in Politics: Convention in Imphal, shutdown in Kuki areas – Manipur groups to mark two years of ethnic conflict | Political Pulse News

Today in Politics: Convention in Imphal, shutdown in Kuki areas – Manipur groups to mark two years of ethnic conflict | Political Pulse News

Security has been tightened across Manipur as a precautionary measure ahead of the second anniversary of the start of the ethnic conflict in the state on May 3, 2023. The Coordinating Committee on Manipur Integrity (COCOMI), a Meitei social organisation, has called on the public to suspend all activities on May 3 and attend the Manipur People’s Convention in the state capital of Imphal. The Kuki Students’ Organisation (KSO) and Zomi Students’ Federation (ZSF) have also called for a shutdown on May 3 in all Kuki-dominated areas. They also encouraged participation in the Indigenous Tribal Leaders’ Forum’s “Separation Day” event at the Churachandpur district headquarters and called on people to hoist black flags at their residences as a mark of mourning. Story continues below this ad The Federation of Civil Society Organisations (FOCS) also announced that May 3 would be observed as a “solemn day of remembrance and solidarity under the theme Bridging Divides for Shared Future”. More than 260 people have been killed and thousands rendered homeless in the ethnic violence between Imphal Valley-based …

Indian groom, ‘baraat’ stuck at Attari-Wagah border as government announced shutdown: ‘Very dissapointed’

Indian groom, ‘baraat’ stuck at Attari-Wagah border as government announced shutdown: ‘Very dissapointed’

The repercussions of the Pahalgam terror attack affected Rajasthan’s Shaitan Singh ‘personally’ as he was going to get married to a woman from Pakistan’s Sindh province, but as the borders were shut, he and his ‘baraat’ got stuck. New Delhi: Shaitan Singh, a resident of Indroi village in Rajasthan’s Barmer district, has been eagerly awaiting his wedding day for four years. Engaged to Kesar Kanwar from Pakistan’s Sindh province, the couple had finally planned to tie the knot on April 30 in Amarkot city, Pakistan. But just days before the ceremony, geopolitical tensions brought their long-anticipated plans to a halt. Singh and his family had been granted visas on February 18 after years of persistent efforts. With his wedding attire ready and the family’s hopes high, the groom, accompanied by his father, brother, and wedding procession, left for the Attari border on Tuesday. However, by the time they reached, news came that the Indian government had ordered an immediate closure of the Attari-Wagah border. This move came in the wake of the tragic April …

Pahalgam attack: PM Modi holds meeting in Delhi, Shah meets survivors amid shutdown in Valley

Pahalgam attack: PM Modi holds meeting in Delhi, Shah meets survivors amid shutdown in Valley

Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant-Governor Manoj Sinha meet the families of Pahalgam terror attack victims, in Srinagar on April 23, 2025 | Photo Credit: ANI Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday (April 23, 2025) held a meeting with National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar at the Delhi airport upon his arrival from Saudi Arabia to take stock of the situation following the terror attack in Pahalgam that left 26 people dead. Mr. Modi was briefed by the officials immediately upon his return on Tuesday’s terror attack that has sparked outrage across the country and condemnation from world leaders. Pahalgam terror attack LIVE Terrorists struck at a prime tourist location in Pahalgam in south Kashmir on Tuesday, killing at least 26 people, mostly tourists, and injuring several others. The bodies of the 26 victims were were brought to the Government Medical College (GMC) in Srinagar early Wednesday and then taken to the Police Control Room where Home Minister Amit Shah laid wreaths on them. Also Read …

Pahalgam attack spurs near-total shutdown after Kashmiri leaders’ call for bandh | India News

Pahalgam attack spurs near-total shutdown after Kashmiri leaders’ call for bandh | India News

Schools, colleges and business establishments remained closed throughout several parts of Kashmir as the Valley Wednesday observed near-complete shutdown to protest the deadly militant attack that killed 26 people – including a local –in what is being seen as the biggest attack on civilians in recent years. This comes as Union Home Minister Amit Shah Wednesday arrived at the Police Control Room in Srinagar to pay tributes to the victims of the attack that targeted the popular tourist destination of Pahalgam. He is also visiting the Baisaran meadow, the site of the attack and is also expected to chair a review with senior security officials Wednesday. The bodies of the victims were brought to Srinagar’s PCR at around 9 am after completing medico-legal formalities. This comes at a time when the attack has spurred an exodus of tourists from the Valley Story continues below this ad The home minister, who was also accompanied by J&K Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, met the families of victims at the PCR. Leader of the …